How to Make Hand Sanitizer at Home
It is an undisputed fact that hand sanitizer helps to prevent the spread of germs. In case there's no soap and water you can make use of hand sanitizer. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can reduce the spread of germs and helps to keep you safe
Although hand sanitizers may be an effective way of getting rid of germs, health government still recommend hand washing whenever possible to make your hands free from germs and any other disease-causing viruses
Due to the fast spread of the novelty coronavirus, most stores can’t keep up with the demand for hand sanitizer. If you can't find hand sanitizer at your local stores, don't stress yourself. You can take steps to make your hand sanitizer.
The good news is that before you can make your hand sanitizer, you need three primary ingredients.
Ingredients you need to make your hand sanitizer.
Making your hand sanitizer is easy to do; all you need is a few ingredients:
- Rubbing alcohol or isopropyl (91-99% alcohol volume
- Aloe vera gel
- An essential oil, like lavender oil and tea tree oil, or you can make use of lemon juice instead.
To make hand sanitizer, you must stick to a 2:1 proportion of alcohol to aloe vera. This makes the alcohol content around 60%. 60% alcohol is what you need to get rid of most germs.
Make a mixture of the following inside a bowl
- 2/3 cup of 99% isopropyl alcohol
- 1/3 cup of aloe vera gel (or glycerol)
- 8-10 drops of essential oil (such as lavender, vanilla, peppers, grapefruit)
- Pour into the bottle.
Here are some tips for hand disinfection.
- In the process of making hand sanitizers, do it in a clean place. Clean work surfaces with diluted bleach solution
- Before starting, the first thing to do is to wash your hands well
- Make sure you wash things well before mixing the ingredients.
- Use a clean spoon and a spoon.
- Before using alcohol, make sure it is not diluted
- Mix all of your ingredients well and make sure they mix well
- Do not touch the mixture with your hands until you are sure it is ready for use.
- For a larger batch of hand sanitizer, you can use this formula
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Ethanol or isopropyl alcohol
- Boiled cold water or use sterile distilled.
Improper ingredients can lead to:
- Exposure to hazardous chemicals through inhalation
- Loss of efficacy, which means that the sanitizer may now not efficiently eliminate risk of exposure to some microbes
- Injury, skin irritation or burns
It's not recommended to use homemade hand sanitizer for children. Children can be more prone to improper use of hand sanitizer, which could lead to a high risk of injury. Therefore, don't allow children to use homemade hand sanitizer.
How to use homemade hand sanitizer
Before using the hand sanitizer, you need to be too aware of two things:
- First, you need to rub the sanitizer into your hand thoroughly until your hands are dry.
- Secondly, If your hand is very dirty or greasy, then you need to wash them with soap and water.
With that in mind, here are some guidelines on how to make use of hand sanitizer effectively.
- Apply the sanitizer on your palm
- Thoroughly rub your hands together and ensure you cover the whole surface of your hands.
- Continue rubbing your hands for about 30-60 seconds. It takes a least 60 seconds for hand sanitizer to kill germs, and sometimes it might be longer than that.